subtitle

or, "You're a full time homemaker? What do you do all day long?"

Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Pleasures of Industriousness

     I had a very productive day in my kitchen and garden. I had a  couple of sick kids who slept on and off all morning long. This was not a bad thing overall. While their bodies were healing, I was making a batch of whole wheat pita bread to go with the hummous I whipped up. I used some fragrant, bright yellow lemons from my tree in the hummous that added so much pungent flavor. I was also working on two loaves of french bread that were quite scrumptious with some brie, gouda, and fontina cheeses that I bought yesterday from Trader Joe's. I had read that soft cheeses are good for intestinal health and we've been having some issues with that lately. Plus, they are delicious cheeses! Especially the smoked gouda - one of my favorites. Speaking of cheese, I'm aiming to use up some mascarpone cheese from Christmas (a sweet, creamy cream cheese popular in Italian cooking and tiramisu) in a pasta dish that I'll use my chinese snow peas in, some shelled peas I picked from my garden, and some tiny bell peppers that are still growing in my yard. Such faithful cuties, those baby bells of mine.
     While making a sandwich from the french bread I made, Elena asked if we had any tomoatoes. We did! I had seen a half dozen or so growing outside on my back fence. They were incredibe tasting!
     My little ones have perked up and oh what pleasure to feed them tasty, wholesome, home-grown and homemade food!
the leftovers

No comments:

Post a Comment