subtitle

or, "You're a full time homemaker? What do you do all day long?"

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving Centerpieces: Low on Cost with High Appeal

     I love cut flowers anytime, anywhere. However, the frugal pragmatist in me prefers plants and potted flowers. Since I was hosting Thanksgiving at my house this year one element I factored in to the whole set up for a group of 35 was the decorations. I have lots of different sizes and colors of table cloths already, so my main focus was on the centerpieces. To stick within a very limited budget, but still have something attractive, this was what I came up with.
     Several factors:
1) I really wanted some miniature roses for my garden in the early fall but couldn't afford them. They're around 3$-5$ at OSH and Trader Joe's. If I chose flowers I wanted to eventually plant in my yard, I would be killing two birds with one stone.
2) I shopped around for baskets and went to Michael's for their 40% off sale. The cheapest basket was around $4.
3) I decided to go to the Salvation Army thrift store and scored 5 really nice baskets for only .89 cents each. I was jazzed!
4) On my way home I stopped by the .99 Cent store "just because." Lo and behold, I found beautiful potted plants, including miniature roses, for only - well, you guessed it - .99 cents! Totally thrilled!
5) I picked up 2 packs of gray moss and a box of glittery pumpkins at Wal-Mart for basket fillers and decorations. I bought some sheer ribbon for about $3. Total spent: about $10.
6) I snagged some gold tissue paper that was going to be thrown out from the Thanksgiving Dessert Outreach our church had.




     I thoroughly enjoyed putting together the 5 basket centerpieces. What's even better is that if I take out the glittery pumpkins and replace them with shiny ornaments and put a small bag of homemade toffee in the basket, I can give these baskets away as gifts to neighbors or the girls' teachers. The plants will easily stay alive and blooming till Christmas time. I figured I saved about $20 by shopping at bargain places. I thought the centerpieces looked quite attractive, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment